Happy Monday friends!
I have just the thing for you to start your mornings off right for the rest of the week. 12 minute savory oatmeal with fried eggs is here to fuel your body and still get you out the door in time.
That’s right, it only takes 12 minutes to make and I bet it takes you even less time to eat it. 3 cheers for oatmeal cooked in the microwave!
If you’ve never tried savory oatmeal before you are in for a surprise. I know we normally think of oatmeal as being served with fruit and brown sugar and raisins and all the sweet things. BUT if you think about it oats on their own are pretty flavorless, they are a blank canvas for all kinds of flavors. Why not stir some salt and pepper into that oatmeal along with a little shredded cheddar cheese and top it with some grape or cherry tomatoes, avocado slices, salsa and a runny fried egg?!
It’s so simple, yet so amazingly delicious and satisfying.
I mean come on, there is warm cheesy oatmeal involved – doesn’t that just sound intriguing?
When you first cut into that soft yolk of that fried egg it’s like edible liquid gold marries into your cheesy oatmeal – it’s pretty much all you need in life. BUT when you take the bites of that perfectly ripe buttery avocado and a juicy grape tomato with maybe a little salsa you will never want breakfast to be over.
See ya later brown sugar and raisins!
BTW, do you see that salsa there? I made that. It was super easy and really really delicious. What do you think? Should I share the recipe sometime?
You may notice that there aren’t many pictures of the steps of making this recipe like I normally share in a post. That’s because this savory oatmeal is literally that simple to make that there weren’t really any steps to show you. I mean I guess cooking an egg, but I’m sure you already know how to do that.
To make this savory oatmeal in 12 minutes all you do is get your tomatoes and avocados prepped – only takes a minute or two. Then you start heating your pan to make the eggs while you cook your oatmeal in the microwave (1 to 2 minutes), stir in some cheese, add your toppings to the oatmeal – followed by the egg, once it’s done cooking. Breakfast is served.
The recipe is written for one serving but it’s super easy to times the recipe for as meany people as you need to.
This 12 minute savory oatmeal has become one of my favorite quick weekday breakfasts, especially as the mornings get cooler and I crave something comforting. I love that we get some a balanced meal all in one bowl: healthy carbs from the oats, nutrients from the tomatoes and salsa, healthy fats from the avocado and egg and tons of protein from the egg and oats. It will keep you satisfied right up to lunch time.
If you want to try another savory oatmeal recipe check out my savory curried oatmeal with veggies and fried egg – super delicious but a little more time consuming. I do include some make ahead suggestions to make the morning of go faster.
Weekday breakfasts….we’ve got this!
- Salsa, as desired
- A handful of Grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ⅓ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ⅔ cup filtered water
- salt and pepper to taste
- (optional): 1 to 2 tablespoons shredded cheese of choice (I like cheddar or pepper jack)
- Fried Egg:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Prepare your toppings: Prepare your toppings as instructed above. Set aside.
- Microwave the oats: In a small microwave safe bowl mix oats, water, salt and pepper together. Heat in the microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and the oats are soft an fluffy, stir every 1 minute of heating time. Stir in cheese until melted. Cover and set aside.
- Cook the Eggs: While the oats are cooking heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Heat the oil and crack the eggs into the skillet. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until most of the whites have set but the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Add the eggs to the oatmeal along with the salsa and prepared avocado slices and tomatoes. Serve immediately.