They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I couldn’t agree more. I find that the type of breakfast I have really determines how my entire day turns out.
I always feel best when I eat a high protein breakfast that is balanced with veggies or fruit and a complex carb such as quinoa. It is on these days that my body and brain function the best.
There is one issue; I don’t always have time in the mornings to make such a spread.
Solution: Broccoli and Kale Quiche with Quinoa Crust. I make it the evening before and warm up a slice as needed in the morning.
It is the perfect balanced breakfast. You get the protein from the eggs and quinoa. The complex carbs and fiber from the quinoa again. The serving of veggies from the broccoli and kale and healthy omega-3s from the flaxseed meal and the eggs.
Plus, it is delicious: the creamy eggs laced with robust kale and crunchy broccoli. The quinoa crust is tender and chewy with a slight crunch on the edges.
This is the perfect make-ahead breakfast for any busy weekday.
Or it could be the star of a weekend brunch. Either way you will have a fabulous start to your day!
- For the Crust:
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 ½ tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- ½ head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup kale leaves, chopped
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 7 large eggs
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a quiche pan with melted coconut oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flaxseed meal and water. Allow to rest for a few minutes so it becomes sticky. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. I found it easiest to use my hands for this.
- Press the mixture into the quiche pan and up onto the sides. Place in the preheated oven and allow to bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust has browned and the edges are crispy. Remove the crust, set aside and turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees.
- For the Filling:
- While the crust is baking, heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-low heat and allow the butter to melt. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the broccoli and kale and cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and spices.
- Add the sautéed veggies to the crust and spread out evenly onto the crust. Gently pour the egg mixture over the veggies and into the quiche crust.
- Place the quiche back into the oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the center of the quiche has just set. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and slice into wedges. Serve immediately and enjoy.