I originally wanted this recipe to be burrito bowls – like inspired by Chipotle’s burrito bowls but then I got carried away with the sauteed bell peppers and onions because I always ask for the fajita veggies on my burrito bowl and always want MORE of them – so then this bowl just seemed more like fajita bowls rather than burrito bowls. You know what, I’m okay with that!
Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice it is! Friends, are you ready for the deliciousness that is happening here?! We’re talking chicken cooked in yummy fajita seasoning and tons of sauteed onions and bell peppers! Just look at all of those gorgeous bell peppers! And those black beans aren’t just a plain old can of black beans. These black beans have been simmering away in water and fajita seasoning and plenty of salt until the water reduces and thickens and becomes all creamy from the starch in the beans – just look at those beans, I mean you can just see the spices on there offering up all their flavors. Then we’ve got that cilantro lime rice! YOU GUYS, all we’re doing is throwing in some lime zest, lime juice and a little cilantro – okay a lot of cilantro – and mixing it into our rice! I mean who knew rice could be so flavorful?! For the grand finale we top everything off with a quick guacamole – mash up a few avocados, stir in some salt and lime juice and chopped cilantro – because more cilantro is always needed – put a big spoonful of that quick guac on top of your Chicken Fajita Bowls and be excited, be prepared because it’s going to be tasty! Dig in my friends!!!!
Okay, I won’t lie to you – these Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice kind of have a lot of components you need cook at the same time and requires the use of 3 pans to get it all done. BUT I promise you it isn’t hard, it’s very easy. You simply need to put your multi-tasking hat on. And trust me, it is so totally worth it in the end – because FAJITA BOWLS!!!!
Really, Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice only requires 5 simple steps!
- Prep all your ingredients. This recipe moves quickly – set yourself up for success and get your chicken cut up, your veggies cut up, your black beans drained and rinsed. Most importantly don’t forget to mix up your fajita seasoning (recipe in the notes) because it’s what makes the recipe taste like FAJITAS!!!
- Cook the chicken in one skillet while the onions get going in a separate skillet. While that’s going get your quick cooking rice started in a pot. Quick cooking rice is so helpful in this recipe, 10 minutes and boom you’re done!!!
- Remove the chicken and get the beans going in the same pan. Let them simmer away and get all starchy and thick while you finish off your cilantro lime rice!!!
- Make your quick guacamole – really if you’re feeling lazy (there’s no shame) some sliced avocado will do the trick. And prepare any other toppings, more cilantro and lime wedges for squeezing over everything is always a must!!!
- Plate everything into nice little sections and serve up your masterpiece to your family or friends or just to yourself.
You’ve got this, I believe in you!!!
When you sit down to a big serving of this Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Rice you will feel a sense of accomplishment that you made that bowl of deliciousness instead of going out and getting it from Chipotle or wherever you might get your bowls of Mexican inspired goodies! Plus, you know exactly what the ingredients are that went into your meal – the force is strong with you (<– too cheezy?)! The best part a lot of love went into your meal. You never know if the person at that fast food restaurant just around the corner was having a bad day and didn’t want to be there and put hate into your food. So essentially when you make your own food you are putting nourishing, loving food into your bodies (I’m such a hippie and I’m okay with that!). Which this (<–) friends, is one of the many reasons I get so much joy from cooking. Okay, okay I also love eating out sometimes too – a girl deserves to be weighted on every now and then, don’t you agree?!
I see loads of flavorful, good for you, loving meals of Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime rice in your very near future and I am so happy for you!!! 🙂
P.S. Looking for more delicious Mexican inspired recipes?! For a side try my Grape Tomato Salsa – so refreshing EASY to make. OR try my Zucchini and Portobello Steak Fajitas ( <– for more fajita action), Easy Green Chicken Enchiladas, or my Healthy Taco Salad (GF)!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch chunks (can use chicken breast for a lighter dish)
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning* (recipe in notes)
- Fajita Veggies
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning*
- 3 to 4 bell peppers, cut into strips, (any colors you prefer)
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice
- zest of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ to 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups filtered water
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning*
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon corn starch
- Quick Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- salt to taste
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- (Sliced avocado instead of quick guacamole)
- Prep your ingredients: This recipe involves some multi tasking and it moves quickly. Prep all of your ingredients as instructed above so that they are ready to go when you are. You can probably save the quick guacamole and any other toppings for the end.
- Cook the Chicken: Toss the chicken with the fajita seasoning and salt. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil , add the chicken and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken to a dish, cover with foil to keep warm. Set aside until ready to assemble bowls.
- Cook the fajita veggies: While the chicken is cooking get the fajita veggies going. Heat a separate large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil, add the onions along with a sprinkle of salt. Saute stirring occasionally until the onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the fajita seasoning and the garlic, saute for one more minute. Remove to a dish, cover with foil. To the same pan add the remaining vegetable oil and the peppers. Allow the peppers to slightly char on one side, before stirring them, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Remove and add them to the dish with the onions, keep warm.
- Cook the Cilantro Lime Rice: Follow your package instructions for your quick cooking rice, should only take 10 minutes to cook. Once cooked remove from heat and add the lime zest, lime juice to taste, and cilantro, stir to combine. Put the lid back on to keep warm until ready to use.
- Cook the black beans: Returning to the pan that we use d to make the chicken, while it's still warm add the red wine vinegar and de-glaze any stuck on bits using your wooden spoon. Add the black beans, water, and fajita seasoning. Turn the pan up to high and allow it to come a boil. Boil until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and stir in the corn starch and salt to taste. Allow the beans to thicken for 1 minute. You will now they are done when they look creamy and the liquid is thick and clings to the beans.
- Make the simple guacamole/prepare toppings While everything is finishing up cooking prepare any of your other toppings. To make the simple guacamole in a small bowl use a fork to mash the avocado and lime juice. Stir in the cilantro and add salt to taste.
- Assemble: Assemble each bowl with a little cilantro lime rice, black beans, chicken, fajita veggies and top with the simple guacamole and any other toppings you might want. Eat immediately.
- Store leftovers: in separate containers in the fridge. Everything reheats nicely.
You will have fajita seasoning leftover. It's good on pretty much anything you want to have a smoky, spicy flavor.
Fajita seasoning recipeadapted from Wellness Mama