Happy Memorial Day, friends!
Memorial Day means summer is almost here. Summer means cold, chilled, foods. It means creamy chicken salads that are perfect for a sunny picnic or pool-side party.
This curried chicken salad in cantaloupe boats is one of my favorite recipes. Although I have modified it slightly, the original recipe is one that my aunt introduced to my family as well as to her sister-in-law, Deanna House. Deanna published the recipe in her 1997 cookbook, House Specialties Encore. The recipe is so easy to make, yet it will impress your guests both with the flavor and the presentation.
The curried mayo/Greek yogurt and chutney dressing is tangy and creamy with the robust flavor of the curry powder and the sweetness of the mango chutney. When you toss this with tender chicken and crunchy celery and serve it on cantaloupe boats, it is a flavor explosion! All of the flavors and textures marry together in amazing ways.
Trust me. You just have to make this chicken salad and try it for yourself. You will be thanking me.
Have a tasty Memorial Day!
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 12 ounce jar of mango chutney
- 2 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 pounds (6 ½ cups) cooked and cooled chicken, cubed
- 1 ½ cups celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 whole cantaloupes, seeded and sliced into thirds
- Sprig of Thyme or Parsley for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl combine the Greek yogurt, mayo, curry powder, garam masala and mango chutney. Taste-test it and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To the same bowl add the chicken, celery, and red bell pepper. Toss gently until the salad is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Just before serving, carefully level the bottom of each of the cantaloupe boats so that they sit sturdy.
- Fill the cantaloupe boats with the chicken salad.
- Garnish with red bell pepper and thyme or parsley.
- You may serve room temperature or chilled.