I love chocolate. What kind of person would I be if I didn’t, right?
Sugar, especially refined sugar, does not agree well with my body. So, any time I can make something to satisfy my chocolate tooth without using refined sugar, I will. Raw Energy Balls or Bars are an example, they are sweetened with dates and dried cherries. Plus they are healthy, high in Omega 3s, protein, fiber, good fats and antioxidants.
In June I made some pretty tasty Almond Joy Raw Energy Balls for our move-in-day to our house. They certainly saved the day. Long story short, our move-in-day did not go as planned. We were first-time home owners for 3 hours when a huge storm hit the area, creating a widespread power outage for 8 to 12 hours. Not to mention some other damages. So, my Almond Joy Raw Energy Balls were the light during our dark move-in fiasco. The chocolate kept me sane and the healthy fats and fiber kept me energetic.
Needless to say we finished off the Almond Joy Raw Energy Balls pretty fast and once they were gone I was again craving some healthy, chocolaty goodness.
Enter Dark Chocolate Cherry Raw Energy Bars. They are rich and chocolaty with a pop of tart cherries. Another winner!
You must make these dark chocolate cherry raw energy bars immediately!
- 2 cups almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 12 (give or take) pitted Medjool dates
- For toppings:
- ¼ cup dried cherries, chopped
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips, chopped
- Place all ingredients in a food processor, except for the dried cherries and dates, and the topping ingredients. Pulse until the nuts have become mostly smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ½ cup dried cherries and a handful of dates. Process until smooth. Scrape down the sides, and add more dates until the batter sticks together.
- Dump the mixture into a 9x9 baking dish and evenly distribute the dough. I used the bottom of a drinking glass to help me really flatten the dough by pressing the drinking glass firmly onto the dough. *
- Sprinkle the ¼ cup dried cherries and the dark chocolate chips over the top of the bars. Gently press the toppings into the bars so that they stick to the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to harden the oils. Use a sharp knife to cut the batter into squares.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks or store in the refrigerator for several months.
Adapted from my Almond Joy Raw Energy Balls