Hi, friends. Welcome to the my newest feature of the blog. At the end of each month I will post a recap of each recipe I made plus my faves! That way you can be reminded of all the yummies, and catch up in case you missed anything. I also plan to fill you in on what Paul and I have been up to: travels, fun house updates, my favorite reads (blogs and books alike), and stories about our cute and cuddly/crazy cat Granite.
December 31st, the last day of 2015, is a great time to incorporate these posts, don’t you think? That way you can get to know me a little better and learn some of my interests outside of the kitchen. It’s a time to reflect, slow down, catch up, and prepare for the following month. It’s a space for the internet world to feel like a real live place. I promise, I’m not just a computer – although I am attached to it.
First, let’s review the Food.
What We Ate:
- Apple Spiced Granola
- Roasted Veggie and Wild Rice Power Salad
- Chocolate Chip Orange Macadamia Cookies (GF)
- Roasted Chicken with Root Veggies
- Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chai Spiced Cookies (GF)
- Pear Mimosa
Have you noticed the new nutrition label I have been using for the past few recipes? It’s pretty cool! I hope everyone finds it to be a helpful way for you to get the most nutritional value out of your food. A huge thanks to Food Blogger Pro (a membership site) for making an easy-to-use nutrition generator!
What We Did:
- Prepared for Christmas. Even though most of December has been in the high 40s to low 60s, with rain instead of snow, we have gotten into the Holiday spirit. Obviously, I have been doing some festive baking. We also put up our Christmas tree and decorated with the
helpdestruction of our cat Granite. He seems to think the Christmas tree is his personal play ground adorned with plenty of toys to try to knock off the tree. He climbed to the 4th tier from the top. Keep in mind this is an artificial tree, so their are no prickly needles to deter him. He hasn’t broken any ornaments yet, but our tree hasn’t looked quite the same since he decided to climb it. Remember how I said our cat is crazy? Yeah, that was no joke!
- Amidst shopping for Christmas gifts we squeezed in some major relaxation time. I read Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. Loved it! Such a page turner, as always. Anyone else out there a Jodi Picoult fan?
- We anxiously anticipated the release of the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, we pre-ordered tickets online and saw it opening night. Nerd alert! No spoilers, I promise, but we really enjoyed it. Go see it NOW!
- We spent time hanging out with family and friends, birthday parties and Christmas parties alike! This is why Christmas is the best time of year!
As 2015 comes to a close I reflect on the year.
You guys, 2015 was a huge shift for me. I began this blog, this journey, in 2014 with the hope for a career without a glass ceiling, and for a way to live my values. Things haven’t gone exactly as I have planned, they have gone even better. During 2015 I have learned that this blog is not a means to an end, it is a journey, a way of life. It is about the journey, not the destination. In order for my business to be the best it can be, I have to become the best version of myself. After reading The Miracle Morning I began, what I call more simply, my morning routine. Every morning I meditate, write 3 things I’m grateful for, read a business or self-education book for 20 minutes. I end my morning by some kind of exercise, a run, yoga, or lifting weights. None of these activities have come easy to me, I have never been a morning person and I never thought I could sit still in meditation for 10 minutes. I have seen a shift in my everyday life: I have better focus, I am happier, more confident, less stressed, I get more done, I am healthier, more patient, more positive, and grateful. All of these practices have become something I depend on for clarity, they help me sift through the chaos and allow me to see what’s really important in life.
I tell you all of this, not because I am gloating or want to “show you the light”, but because I want to share my journey. I want to open up so we can be friends. You see, I would not have started this self work stuff in the first place if it would not have been that I truly wanted to create a blog with valuable, relatable content. This journey is not just mine, we are in it together, friends. There are 2 things I know to be true. 1) life is too short, so make the most of it. Be present during every moment. 2) You are in control of your own happiness, always!
I truly hope everyone has had a wonderful and happy 2015!
Now onto 2016 with a positive attitude and open arms for what’s to come! I will see you back here tomorrow with a new recipe!