I am in love with all things minty. I love mint gum, breath mints, mint tea, and hello! Of course, the mint and chocolate combo! Due to my mint obsession I planted two different kinds of mint this spring.
Despite all my efforts to regularly make a fresh cup of mint tea and use mint in recipes whenever possible, my mint is growing like crazy.
Then, I thought of a brilliant way to use up my mint. DIY Mint Extract.
It couldn’t be any easier. Just two ingredients, 5 minutes of prep time, and the hardest part, a month of waiting time.
If your mint is out of control then you must make this mint extract. It will last forever and is way cheaper than store-bought mint extract. Who doesn’t love that?
- 1 cup mint leaves, stemmed, washed, and dried
- 1 ½ cups decent quality vodka
- Place the mint leaves in a Mason jar or airtight container. Muddle the leaves with the back of a spoon to help release the oils. Add the vodka.
- Place the mint extract in a dark, cool, dry place for at least 30 days.
- Strain the mint leaves and pour the mint extract into airtight bottles or jars. Store in a cool dark place and use as needed.