Hey, friends, as you know from Monday’s post I am obsessed with Ireland. With St. Patrick’s day coming up I have had Irish food on my mind. In Monday’s post I also made it clear that I am not a fan of food dyed green with cutesy rainbows and shamrocks on top. OKAY! Let’s be honest, If you were to put a cupcake with green frosting in front of me I would probably eat it, but I am not about to make one for myself. It’s not my style. My style is wholesome, real food that is healthy for you and tastes good!
With that being said, you are probably very confused by the title of this post! How can I possibly make a Shamrock Shake without green food dye? ANND how in the world can I possibly make a shake healthy, and vegan?!
- frozen bananas + chia seeds
- a little almond milk
That’s right, there is no ice cream or green food dye in this Healthy Shamrock Shake! We owe the the thick, creamy consistency of this shake to our frozen bananas and fiber-packed-magical-liquid-absorbing chia seeds. The beautiful, rich green color comes from the spinach. Don’t you just love that I sneaked a leafy green into a shake?! Veggies FTW!
Really, how does this Healthy Shamrock Shake taste?!
- It doesn’t taste like bananas at all (not that banana is a bad flavor. We just want some creamy minty-ness with some chocolate, right?)
- With a few mint leaves and a drop of peppermint extract all you taste is refreshing minty goodness
- The best part is the bananas sweeten this baby up enough that there is no need for any other sweeter. SWEET! (literally!)
- Chop up a few dark chocolate chips, because why not! Chocolate chips aren’t in the original shamrock shake. But come on, mint + chocolate = the purpose of life!
- Top it with a dollop of coconut whip, because why not?!
- BTW those spinach leaves, you won’t taste them at all, promise!
- Bottom line: Healthy Shamrock Shake is sweet, rich and creamy, minty and studded with chocolate!
Plus there are only 7 ingredients and you can whip this baby up in only 7 minutes! I just know you will feel happier, healthier, and lighter on your feet if you drink this instead of The Other One! And just as satisfied! No excuses! Go treat yourself by whipping up this Healthy Shamrock Shake!
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can sub cashew milk)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 bananas (2 cups) previously frozen*
- 10 fresh mint leaves (optional, but the shake may have a slightly less minty flavor if omitted)
- ¼ teaspoon pure peppermint extract (can sub pure mint extract)
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2 tablespoons cup dark chocolate chips, roughly chopped (make sure they are vegan/dairy free to keep everything vegan)
- optional: Coconut whipped cream for topping
- To a high speed blender add the milk and chia seeds. Give the blender a gentle shake to submerge the chia seeds into the milk. Allow the chia seeds to rest for 5 minutes so that they can become "gelatinous" in the milk.
- Remove the bananas from the freezer, allow them to sit at room temperature until you are ready to use them. This helps them to soften just enough to be blended easier.
- Once the chia seeds have sat in the milk, add to the blender the mint leaves, peppermint extract, and spinach. Blend everything until it is well incorporated and there are no spinach chunks.
- Add the bananas to the blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the shake to your serving glass. Gently stir the chopped chocolate chips into the shake. If desired, top with coconut whipped cream, a mint leaf, and a few chocolate chips. Serve with a large smoothie straw so that you can get all the chocolate chunks. Enjoy immediately.
Prep time does not include amount of time needed to freeze bananas.
Nutrition info is calculated for the serving size as 2 shakes. Also, I did not include coconut whipped cream in the calculation.