Summertime is almost here and that means one thing. Margaritas! They are refreshing and festive.
Although it may be tempting to make a margarita with a pre-mix for convenience, it is not quite so tempting when you look at the ingredient label. Bottled margarita mix is laced with tons of sugar, artificial colors and flavoring, and way too many calories. No Thank you!
Making your own margaritas with fresh juice and sweetening it with a little honey is by far the way to go. Plus, it really only takes about 10 minutes to make them. Once you start making your own margaritas, you will never go back to the gross bottled stuff. You will notice the difference with a fresh margarita; the taste is quite the treat.
Of course, I had to put a spin on the classic lime margarita. Why not an orange jalapeno margarita? They are out of this world! These margaritas are the perfect amount of orange flavor, sweetness from the honey, and they pack a little punch from the jalapeno.
I promise that you will fall in love with this fresh orange jalapeno margarita. So sit back and enjoy this long Memorial Day weekend, guilt free, as you sip on this orange jalapeno margarita!
P.S. The ultimate snack to serve with these margaritas is my basic guacamole recipe. If you want a complete dinner, then you have to make my jalapeno and cilantro burgers. Talk about the perfect summertime meal!
- 1-2 slices Jalapeno (plus one for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 4 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 2 ice cubes
- 1 slice of lime and sugar to give your glass a sugared rim (optional)
- Orange twist or slice (for garnish)
- Using a cocktail shaker, place the Jalapeno slices into the bottom. Muddle the Jalapenos to release the juice of the jalapeno. You may remove ribs and seeds to adjust the heat.
- Add the honey, orange juice, and tequila, and 2 ice cubes. Secure the lid and shake well.
- Pour into margarita glasses or cocktail glasses that have been rimmed with sugar.
- Garnish with a jalapeno slice and an orange twist. Serve immediately and enjoy!