After making my Taco-stuffed potato skins, I realized that potato skins are a blank canvas for any combination of flavors. I needed more of these crunchy little dudes in my life.
This time, we are keeping it light. Homemade pesto, homemade roasted red pepper, and fresh mozzarella slices that are melted to perfection. That’s it. Simple, yet bursting with flavor and a hint of sophistication.
The pesto is nutty, salty, and herby. The roasted red pepper adds a roasted sweetness, and the mozzarella cheese is silky smooth and totally melted. All of these amazing ingredients are piled on top of a crispy, salty, buttery potato skin. Yum!
Pesto and Mozzarella-Stuffed Potato Skins will make the perfect appetizer, snack, or side dish. I know you will love these little guys.
- 6 organic russet potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, washed
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ½ stick butter, melted
- For the Pesto:
- ½ cup basil, packed
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Handful of nuts such as walnuts, pine nuts, or pecans
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil, about ¼ cup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Scrub and wash your potatoes. I used organic to avoid pesticides since we’ll be eating the skins. Using a sharp knife, pierce holes in the potatoes so the steam escapes. Place them on a large cookie sheet and bake for 50 minutes, or until they are fork-tender. Allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before handling.
- While the potatoes are cooking make your pesto. Place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Blend until smooth, about 5 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed. Set the pesto aside.
- Prepare your red bell pepper by charring the skin over an open flame if you have a gas stove. Make sure to rotate the bell pepper so that it is charred evenly. If you have an electric stove you can use the same method under the broiler, about 3 minutes per side.
- Once the red pepper is evenly charred, place it in a heat-resistant bowl and tightly cover with plastic wrap. Allow to cool in the bowl for 10 minutes. The steam will help to loosen the skin. Once it’s cool enough to handle remove the majority of the skin with a paper towel; leave some of the char on the skin. Seed and chop the red pepper. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking and cooled to handle, cut them in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out most of the flesh of the potato. Reserve it for later use for other recipes or for mashed potatoes.
- Turn the oven to broil. Brush the outside of the potato skins with melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Place them on a cookie sheet, under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from the oven. Turn over the potato skins, flesh side up and brush with melted butter and sprinkle with salt. Return the skins to the broiler and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the edges are crispy. Don’t allow them to burn.
- Spoon a teaspoon of the pesto into each potato skin. Sprinkle 3-4 pieces of the roasted red pepper and top each potato skin with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. Return to the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy.