Hi, I made this cold, refreshing pineapple ginger turmeric smoothie for you to enjoy during the end of summer heat wave. Oh wait, it pretty much turned into fall overnight, here in Iowa at least. BUT for the rest of you lucky people who live somewhere warm and tropical this smoothie is for you.
Okay us colder climate people can also enjoy this turmeric smoothie – I mean look at that beautiful golden color, perfect for fall. Just make sure you are all snuggled under a blanket while enjoying this turmeric smoothie so you can balance it out – maybe have some hot tea ready too.
Much like most of my recipes this time of year I am scrambling to get my summer recipes finished before it’s too cold to enjoy them. I love summertime food and plan too many recipes. Oh well, it’s probably 90 degrees somewhere, please can I come visit you?! And by visit you I mean move in with you?! (<- too creepy?).
As much as I am always sad to see summer go I do enjoy fall weather and all of the comforting foods it brings. I promise all of the warming fall soup and baking recipes are coming your way! But for now lets talk about this turmeric smoothie and all about it’s golden glory.
This pineapple ginger turmeric smoothie was inspired by my love for golden milk and wanting to be able to enjoy a refreshing version of that warm drink during the summer. Umm guess my timing was a little off – never mind that, this turmeric smoothie has all of the summertime vibes. It’s packed with banana, pineapple, spicy ginger, and that warming turmeric that we all love so much. It’s sweet, ginger-y, with a hint of warming spice from that turmeric. Even though I envisioned this recipe for summertime it really can be enjoyed all year long – because smoothies!
The health benefits for this pineapple ginger turmeric smoothie are pretty amazing. You’ve got the bananas packed with potassium, the pineapple that’s good for digestion and loaded with vitamin C and D, the ginger that’s good for immunity and digestion, and the turmeric that’s anti-inflammatory and high in antioxidants. Oh, and the flax seed for Omega-3 essential fatty acids, AKA healthy fats. Maybe I should have named this recipe golden power smoothie!!!
This pineapple ginger turmeric smoothie would be the ultimate tonic if you are sick or feeling under the weather. OR just make it when you want an energy boost or even a little sweet treat.
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I like almond milk)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- ½ cup banana that has been previously sliced and frozen
- 1 to 2 inches ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons flax seed meal (or sub chia seeds)
- ½ to 1 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper*
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until everything is smooth. Taste and adjust flavors as needed: for more sweetness add more banana, for more turmeric flavor add more turmeric etc. Serve immediately. NOTE: If you have blender that is not high powered then you can add the frozen fruit ½ a cup at a time blending until smooth in between.