With Memorial Day coming up at the end of the month – you know, that three day weekend when everyone thinks they are going to have a party in their backyard or a picnic, but then it always rains (okay, at least here in the Midwest it does) – I thought it was the perfect time to share my take on Skinny Ranch Dip. Because, let’s be honest, is it ever any kind of spring/summer party without a veggie platter served with creamy, dreamy ranch dip?
About a year ago I shared my Cashew Ranch Dip which is great for anyone who is dairy free. As of late, when I am craving a little dip to enjoy with my raw veggies – besides hummus, of course – this Skinny Ranch Dip is my go to. It’s quick and easy to make; all you do is stir a few ingredients together. AND its taste is pretty dang close to store-bought ranch dip. It’s thick and creamy, tangy, garlicky and bursting with that signature ranch flavor.
Here’s a secret: I make my own ranch spice mix. Guys, it’s so easy to make yourself, plus you can make a lot more ranch spice mix yourself for the same price as buying the packets. And you are in control of your ingredients; no preservatives or anti caking agents needed. I bet you already have most of the spices in your cupboard: garlic powder, dill, dried minced onion, onion powder, black pepper, dried chives, and parsley flakes. That’s it! It comes together in no time and you can use this stuff on pretty much anything. Look at you go, you savvy spice mixer, you!
From there all you do is grab our trusty nonfat, plain Greek yogurt, a little freshly squeezed lemon juice, some salt, and a dash of honey to round things out. Mix everything together and your creamy, zingy, HEALTHY Skinny Ranch Dip awaits to serve you for the ultimate veggie dipping experience.
Reasons Why Skinny Ranch Dip is Healthier:
- This is called Skinny Ranch Dip for a reason. Since we are using fat free Greek yogurt there is 0% fat whereas traditional ranch dip has about 21 grams of fat per serving!
- Less sugar: yes, there is hidden sugar in ranch dip. Our Skinny Ranch Dip only has 1/2 teaspoon of honey. Refined-sugar-free FTW!
- Protein: with that Greek yogurt we are getting 23 grams per 1 cup, about 5 grams protein per serving!
- Calcium: believe it or not traditional ranch dip doesn’t have much calcium in it. Greek yogurt rocks in that department; 1 cup is 25% of your daily value!
- Live active cultures: with a good quality yogurt you are getting all of those lovely active cultures that your gut loves. Good digestion is always wanted at a pool party, right?
Look at us, we just made a tasty, guilt free ranch dip in 10 minutes flat!
Make Skinny Ranch Dip to have in your fridge all week long to dip any and all fresh veggies into. Serve with a raw veggie platter at parties or picnics. You could even package the dip into small containers and distribute it for your kids’ school lunches or your work lunches. Dip on, my friends!
- FOR THE RANCH SPICE MIX:
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (salt free)
- 1½ teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried, minced onion
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- FOR THE DIP:
- 1 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt (I like Fage brand)
- 2 tablespoons ranch mix* (ingredients above)
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste, but don't skimp too much because it doesn't taste right without enough salt)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon honey
- FOR THE RANCH SPICE MIX:
- I love to store my homemade spice mixes in a small mason jar. Add all ingredients to the mason jar, screw on the lid and shake until all the spices are well combined.
- Or mix ingredients together in a small mixing bowl and transfer to a small spice jar.
- Store the ranch spice mix for up to 6 months in a cool dry place.
- FOR THE DIP:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl stir together all of the ingredients: yogurt, 2 tablespoons of the ranch spice mix, salt, lemon juice, and honey. Taste-test and adjust salt, honey, or lemon juice as needed.
- Serve immediately if you're in a pinch; however the dip is best after it has chilled in the fridge for at least 4 hours. This also gives the ranch flavors time to really come alive in the dip.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Prep time does not include the chill time recommended for the dip.
Ranch spice Mix adapted from my Cashew Ranch Dip, originally adapted from Gimme Some Oven.
Nutrition facts are based on 6 servings of the Skinny Ranch Dip, about 2 1/2 tablespoons each.