Hi friends, did you miss me?! It’s been way too long! That’s okay, life happens and sometimes and we just need a moment. It’s November 1st you guys, and the first day of the month is always a good time to begin again. Don’t you agree?
November has lots of yummy exciting food for us to eat. Hello Thanksgiving. The one day a year that it’s acceptable to stuff your face 3 or 4 times over and then still have dessert. It’s the day that foodies dream about all year long! Be ready for plenty of Thanksgiving recipes coming your way! But first, let’s discuss this Slow Cooker White chicken Chili, shall we?!
With school in full swing and the holidays coming up and Christmas shopping (yes I try to start my Christmas shopping in November!) and all the decorations to put up and the parties attend life is busy this time of year. Yet, it’s the time of year that our body craves foods that are warm, comforting, and that have been cooked low and slow. Yes to the warm and comforting but we don’t always have time for the low and slow part, amiright?! That’s when our trusty crock pot comes in, it gives you that low and slow cooked feel but without the having to stand over a pot and stir and check on it every few minutes. I mean you can even leave the house while your slow cooker is on. Honestly I don’t know how I survived without one most of my life!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is hearty, yet lighter than your traditional chili. The chicken and the white kidney beans keeps everything on the lighter side. If you are not a fan of chili powder this white chicken chili is for you! We use cumin to add that smoky flavor and keep the spice on the mild side. This chili is packed with shredded chicken breast, corn, green chilies, onion, green peppers, one jalapeno for a little spice, kale, and plenty of white kidney beans. The best part of any chili is the toppings! I highly recommend a little Greek yogurt (or sour cream), a lot of tortilla chips for texture, sliced avocado, cilantro, a little hot sauce, and some shredded pepper jack cheese. The beauty of topping your chili is that you can put on whatever you want, a few pickled jalapeno slices would be delicious if you want to bump up the heat!Soooo I think I need to make this chili again just so I can top it with the pickled jalapenos! Cause anything pickled is always amazing! You know what, I think I can actually handle that, even with all the other recipes I will be testing then cooking and photographing for the blog I can handle making this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili all winter long. It’s that easy my friends, chop everything up, throw it into the slow cooker and let it work it’s magic while you are at school, at work, playing with your kids, Christmas shopping, or whatever it is that you need to do! And when you get home your kitchen will smell amazing and comforting and you will have a huge batch of white chicken chili ready for you to devour. You will probably even have leftovers to last you for several days! AND this white chicken chili freezes beautifully so you can freeze it for those extra crazy weeks when you will need a little help in the kitchen. Does home cooked, easy, healthy food get any better than that?!
Go make this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili and come back here and tell me how it went! I’ll be right here waiting for your invite to come over. I’ll bring the pepper jack cheese! And maybe some wine!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Optional: 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds removed for less heat)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can corn, drained
- 2 cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup all purpose gluten free flour (or sub brown rice flour)
- ½ cup unsweetened, plain almond milk (or sub other milk of choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- TOPPING SUGGESTIONS:
- Lots of tortilla chips, broken up
- pepper jack cheese (could use a non dairy cheese for dairy free eaters, or omit it)
- Plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream, (again, find a dairy free option or omit for dairy free)
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- Pickled jalapenos
- To a large slow cooker add all of the ingredients except for the gluten free flour, salt and pepper to taste, and lime juice. Stir to combine. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Once the chicken has cooked remove it from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and flour until well combined and no lumps remain. Add the mixture to the slow cooker. Allow the chili to cook on high for another 20 minutes, or until the chili has thickened.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste. At this time you can adjust the cumin for more smokiness or the oregano and parsley. Stir in Lime juice.
- Serve immediately with any or all of the topping suggestions above. I highly recommend at least the tortilla chips to add texture and crunch that kind of gets lost when working with slow cookers. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days. You can freeze the chili for up to 6 months. Defrost at room temperature or in the fridge.
Nutrition Facts do not include the optional toppings.