Steak & spinach salad with goat cheese and caramelized onions is a healthy meal that is bursting with flavor!
The spicy spinach is topped with perfectly juicy steak and the rich, sweet caramelized onions are to die for. When you add crunchy cashews, sweet and earthy shredded beet, and tangy goat cheese your taste buds will be in heaven! Oh, I almost forgot, the whole thing is drizzled with a homemade honey mustard dressing that couldn’t be easier to make.
The caramelized onions do take about 10 to 15 minutes to cook. Do not take them off the heat early! Caramelized onions are so worth the wait. Besides it will give you time to grate the beet and make the honey mustard salad dressing.
Before you start making this salad, I must warn you, do not wear a long sleeved white shirt while you are grating the beet! My thought was that if I wear an apron and push up my sleeves to my elbow that my shirt would remain spot free. Boy was I wrong! Not only did the beet juice splatter on my sleeves, when I removed the apron I had red splatters all over! Needless to say, I had to change my shirt immediately to put the white one in the laundry to soak. Don’t be scared away from grating beets; it is well worth it. But learn from my mistake and don’t wear a white shirt while grating a beet. Actually maybe it’s best that you don’t wear a shirt at all, just to be safe…only if no one is around. I would never suggest anything promiscuous! Never!
No matter what you wear, or don’t wear, while grating the beet, I promise this salad will be well worth it.
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 3 cups of baby spinach, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 1 steak, your favorite cut
- 1 large while onion, sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 beet
- 1 slightly under-ripe pear, cored and sliced
- Goat cheese, crumbled
- For the Honey Mustard Salad Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the chopped cashews, toast for 3 to 4 minutes, just until the cashews become fragrant. Make sure to give them a few tosses so they don’t burn. Remove the cashews and set aside.
- Using the same skillet turn the heat up to medium-high, add the oil, allow to heat for 1 minute. Add the steak. Cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until the steak reaches desired doneness. Remove the steak from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the sliced onions. Add ½ teaspoon of salt. Allow to cook on medium-low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions will reduce to about half the size and turn a light brown color. They will be sweet and rich, yum!
- Meanwhile arrange the spinach onto 2 plates. Peel the beet. Get out a box grater and grate the beet. I used about half of the beet, but I could have used more. Place the shredded beet on one half of the spinach.
- Slice the steak and arrange it in the middle of the bed of spinach. Add the caramelized onions on the other side of the steak. Arrange the sliced pear. Sprinkle with toasted cashews and goat cheese.
- For the Honey Mustard Salad Dressing whisk together the mustard and honey. Slowly stream in the olive oil as you whisk. Mix in salt and pepper to taste. The end result should be a thick, sweet and tangy dressing.