Hi, my name is Emily, I’m addicted to energy balls.
True story. I am not one for meal prepping, mostly because I cook so much for my job, but having my fridge stocked with energy balls every week is mandatory. They get me going in the morning, give me energy for my workout. I am always mixing up the flavors, but my current favorite has been these chocolate peanut butter energy balls.
Because who doesn’t want chocolate and peanut butter first thing in the morning?!
Okay you don’t have to eat these energy balls in the morning. They are also great for afternoon snacks, work or school lunches, picnics, road trips, you name it and these chocolate peanut butter energy balls can totally be there for you during your time of hangry-ness.
One of my fave things about making energy balls is that they are super easy. Throw 8 simple ingredients into a bowl, mix, mix, mix, until you have a sticky dough. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes – trust me, it makes rolling them into balls so much easier – roll them into bite sized balls and pop them in the fridge. They will last in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for 6 months.
My goal in life is to have my chest freezer in the basement stocked with stashes of different energy ball flavors so I don’t have to make them for like 2 months. A girl can dream, right?!
Energy balls are packed with nutrient dense ingredients such as oats and honey for healthy carbs, flax seed meal and peanut butter for healthy fats and protein, and cocoa powder mostly because it’s delicious but also because it’s packed with antioxidants. One or two little chocolate peanut butter energy balls will give you a boost of energy, they truly live up to their name.
Chocolate peanut butter energy balls are soft and chewy and packed with peanut butter and chocolate goodness. What a great way to get you going right before a workout or whatever it is you need a little fuel for!
If you are looking for more energy ball flavors, try my matcha cherry energy balls, chocolate mint energy balls, chai spiced raw energy balls, or my almond joy raw energy balls. So many tasty options. Don’t make me pick a favorite because I’m not sure I can.
Guess that means you’ll have to try them all for yourself! 😉
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons natural peanut butter, creamy or chunky (only ingredeints should be peanuts and maybe salt)
- ⅓ + 1 tablespoon honey
- Optional :1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (dairy free for DF eaters)
- Mix ingredients: Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Use a firm spatula to mix everything together until well incorporated and a thick, sticky dough forms. If you are having trouble getting everything to come together sometimes it's best to use clean hands to really get everything mixed together.
- Test consistency of dough: Take a small portion of the dough and squeeze it between your fingers, if it sticks together easily the dough is ready. If the dough is too crumbly stir in more peanut butter and honey.
- Chill the dough: Cover and place the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes or until the dough is no longer super sticky.
- Form the energy balls: Use a small cookie scoop, about 2 tablespoons, to portion out each energy ball. Roll them in your hands to form them into balls. Store them in an air tight container for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.