There is nothing better than a heartwarming curry dish. The robust, earthy curry spices melded with rich coconut milk and stir-fried veggies makes me swoon. I jump at the opportunity to eat at a good Thai restaurant! I could literally eat at a Thai restaurant every day and my belly would be perfectly satisfied, but it would empty my wallet.
It became obvious that I must cook these mouth-watering Thai dishes at home to help keep my sanity in check and to keep my wallet happy.
When I began cooking Thai dishes at home I was very intimidated. Most Thai recipes have a list of ingredients that are a mile long. And they call for exotic ingredients that I can’t find in my Midwestern grocery store.
A mission was born: to create Thai recipes that taste close to the authentic recipes served in Thai restaurants, while keeping the ingredients accessible and affordable!
This coconut chicken curry with zucchini and quinoa hits the mark! It is simple to make and even easier to eat. All you need is one wok or large skillet, and a small pot to boil the quinoa. This curry dish is perfectly Thai inspired; it has a bold curry flavor with the perfect amount of stir-fried veggies. The nutty quinoa is the perfect accompaniment to soak up all of the ridiculously good curry liquid.
You must try coconut chicken curry with zucchini and quinoa for dinner. I promise you will love it. Enjoy your Thai-restaurant-inspired food, without leaving home!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ¾ pound chicken, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicier)
- ½ yellow squash cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ zucchini, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup button mushrooms, quartered
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder (start with 1 tablespoon if you are not a big curry fan; you can always add more if you like the taste).
- 1 can coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¾ cup cilantro, roughly chopped. Reserve a little extra for garnish
- 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Melt the coconut oil and add the sliced onion. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash, sauté for 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to brown, and then add the raw chicken. Sauté the chicken for 3-5 minutes, or until the outsides begin turning opaque.
- Add the curry powder, stir to combine. Then add the coconut milk and ¼ cup water. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and the cooking liquid is thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add the raw quinoa, reduce to a simmer. Allow the quinoa to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until soft. Remove from heat, set aside and cover with a lid to keep warm.
- Remove the chicken curry mixture from the heat. Stir in the lime juice and the cilantro. Taste and season with salt as needed. Allow the curry to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with quinoa, or rice, and garnish with cilantro.