Happy Wednesday, friends. To help us make it through the remainder of this week I have created a delicious detox beet smoothie.
Beets are incredibly healthy for you. They are packed with antioxidants, they fight inflammation, boost your stamina, and they help to detox the blood and flush out the liver. I mean who doesn’t need that? These benefits are just to name a few. Read more about the health benefits of beets here.
Now that I have listed several reasons why you should eat beets, let me convince you that this detox beet smoothie really does taste good. We add to the beets some bananas for sweetness and thickness, some strawberries for a fruity flavor, and a date or two for even more sweetness. The chia seeds and beet greens are added for more nutrition, but I promise that you can’t taste them. Even though the flavor of beet predominates, it has a fruity depth to it.
Plus one date. Just imagine he’s in the picture above. Poor little forgotten date.
No worries, he is not missed one bit within the smoothie. He packs a sweet punch.
Detox beet smoothie even passed the Paul test. My husband does not like beets at all, yet he slurped every last drop of this smoothie, so it must be good.
Make this detox beet smoothie anytime of the day, enjoy the taste and reap the health benefits. It tastes just as good as it looks. A win win.
- 1 cup raw beets, washed, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 4 beet leaves, washed, stemmed and roughly chopped (spinach or kale would also work here)*
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 dates, pitted (depending on your sweet preference)
- A handful of ice cubes
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor or a high-powered blender. Process until all of the ingredients are blended, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides and process again if needed.
- Taste with a spoon and adjust the temperature of the smoothie by adding more ice cubes and adjust the consistency by adding more almond milk if it needs to be thinned out a little. The smoothie should be thick and slightly sweet. Divide among two glasses and serve immediately.