Hey, Friends, how was your Thanksgiving? Did you eat a lot of turkey and pumpkin pie and spend time with your family? Did you spend the long weekend relaxing by reading a book or watching a movie? Ahh, I love long weekends; they are refreshing and very necessary every once in a while, don’t you agree?
After all of that cooking and eating wonderful, comforting, rich holiday foods I think it’s time that we take a little break from cooking for a day. Heck, why should we even take the time to chew? Now is the time for a light, refreshing, yummy, green smoothie!
Green smoothies are all of the rage right now, and to be honest, I am not all that into them. In the fast- approaching-200-recipes that I have created and shared on Robust Recipes, only two of them are smoothies: Detox Beet Smoothie and Beet and Raspberry Smoothie. Look at that, they both contain beets! WEIRD! I don’t know what it is; maybe I would rather eat my food than suck it through a straw. However, there is a time and place when smoothies are most appealing to me. I usually find that I turn to them after I have overindulged on food, such as right after a holiday. Smoothies are great for packing a ton of veggies and fruit and good-for-you nutrients into your body in one glass. Not to mention that smoothies make me feel a little tropical. Tropical vibes are necessary at the end of November, don’t you think?
I went a little overboard on buying too many gorgeous-looking pears. We ended up with too many overly ripe pears that we couldn’t eat before they would go bad, so I thought, why not throw one into a smoothie. The Pear Coconut Green Smoothie was born!
I know you’ll love this Pear Coconut Green Smoothie; it’s bursting with fresh pear flavor. The subtle coconut taste goes nicely with the pear. Plus a hint of spicy fresh ginger to excite the taste buds.
This smoothie is packed to the brim with spinach that will give you tons of nutrients such as Vitamins A and C and magnesium. Coconut oil is a healthy fat that has many benefits. It can help boost your energy, ward off bacteria and viruses, keep your skin, hair, and nails from getting dry, and keep your brain healthy.
Bottom line, Pear Coconut Green Smoothie is yummy, healthy, and the perfect way to get you back on track after a deliciously indulgent holiday! What I’m saying is you should go make this smoothie right now. I know you won’t regret it!
I hope you give this recipe a try. If you do please don’t forget to leave a comment below and rate the recipe. Your comments make my day! Cheers!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk(you could sub any other type of milk, or coconut water or coconut milk for a stronger coconut flavor)
- 2 handfuls spinach (I keep my spinach in the freezer for smoothies to ensure freshness)
- ½ inch fresh ginger, peeled
- Optional: 1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon unrefined virgin coconut oil
- Optional: ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 very ripe pear, cored and cut into chunks (I used a Bartlett pear, but any pear will work)
- 2 to 3 ice cubes, if needed
- Optional: Unsweetened shredded coconut for topping
- Blend the milk, spinach, ginger, chia seeds/flaxseeds, coconut oil, and cinnamon until the spinach has broken down and everything is well blended.
- Add the pear and blend until the pear is smooth. Taste the smoothie and add a few ice cubes to adjust the temperature as needed.
- Pour the smoothie into 1 large glass or divide between two small glasses. Sprinkle with shredded coconut, if desired. Enjoy immediately.