Hi, Friends, I have good news for you! This recipe you are about to read is a one-pan-meal! That’s right, you will only have to wash one pan after cooking Roasted Chicken with Root Veggies. I guess you might have to wash the knife you use to cut up your veggies and the plates you eat off of, but we can handle that, right? Other than that all of the veggies and the glorious roasted chicken pieces with crispy skin cook together in one pan. Basically you should be doing a little celebration dance for not having to do a million dishes!
I know I did. Actually, it was Paul who was doing the dancing because, let’s be honest, he does most of the dishes. I do
most all of the cooking, so it works out. If I left the cooking up to Paul it would be frozen pizzas and TV dinners every night which would result in a not-very-happy Emily. I NEEEDZ my fresh, wholesome food with tons of veggies!
We are obbseessed with Roasted Chicken with Root Veggies, and just trust me on this one, it’s way better than a frozen pizza. What’s not to love? Tons of roasted veggies->onions, whole garlic cloves, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and baby red potatoes that soak up all the glorious roast-y chicken drippings. Then there’s that chicken. The thought of roasted chicken with crispy skin makes my stomach rumble! Chicken thighs and drumsticks with perfectly salted crispy skin. Who needs boring chicken breast when we’ve got that luscious, buttery, perfectly salted dark meat?!?!
A few other bonus points about Roasted Chicken with Root Veggies:
- It’s a one-pan-meal. NO MORE DISHES (already mentioned this one, but come on, it’s a biggie!)
- It makes use of fresh, healthy in-season veggies, root veggies. Hello, my pretties!
- It’s very customizable. If you’re not into parsnips, NBD, leave them out and add extra carrots.
- It can be made in slightly over 1 hour!
- It’s simple enough for a weeknight meal, yet just special enough to serve to guests!
- Your house will smell amazing for hours after cooking.
If all of those reasons haven’t convinced you to make Roasted Chicken with Root Veggies STAT, then I don’t know what will. Enjoy, my friends!
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 to 5 carrots, sliced
- 2 to 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1.5 pounds new potatoes, cut into quarters (I used red potatoes, but use any color you prefer)
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, skin removed, but left whole
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried, ground sage
- 5 pounds chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all of the chopped veggies to a 9 x 13 baking dish. Add the oregano, thyme, sage, salt and pepper, and grapeseed oil. Toss the veggies to coat them in the oil and spices.
- Cook the veggies (without the chicken) for 15 minutes. Toss the veggies and place the chicken pieces on top.Pat the skin of the chicken dry with a paper towel, brush the chicken with the melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the pan back into the oven and cook for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Be sure to keep an eye on the chicken during the last 20 minutes of cook time. If the skin on the chicken starts to brown too much cover the pan with tin foil.
- Also, if your chicken doesn't brown enough, because you are using a gas oven with the heat source on the bottom (like mine is), then place the pan under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes to help the skin to crisp up. Keep a close eye on the chicken; it can burn easily.
- Allow the dish to rest for 10 minutes before serving.