Hi, how was your Thanksgiving? I hope it was fun and relaxing and full of delicious food!
What kind of recipe do I even share on the Monday after Thanksgiving? Do people even care about food right now? OR are they just drowning in turkey leftovers?
I mean how can I even top Turkey and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie and stuffing?!!? I don’t top it. But I do provide you with a glowing detox salad to help you feel like yourself again after eating all of the warming, comforting, heavy, yummy foods – as you should my friend – but that’s exactly why I made you this warm curry salad with crunchy chickpeas.
I don’t know about you, but after the holidays all I want is to overload on veggies. I pretty much need a detox. I almost called this salad a detox salad because you will feel so amazing after eating it!
I really truly love salads, but I think you knew that. However, during the colder months I struggle with wanting to eat them, they’re just too cold. I need something to warm me up.
That’s where this warm curry salad with crunchy chickpeas comes into play. The hearty kale holds up nicely to the warm roasted carrots and onions and crunchy chickpeas. Plus the warming curry powder that’s in the tahini dressing roasted on the carrots and crunchy chickpeas adds another level of warmth to this dish. There will be no boring, cold salads here today.
What I love about this warm curry salad is that it is vegan and yet it’s hearty and filling enough to keep you satisfied until your next meal.
See, look at us detoxing and eating ALL of the healthy plants right after Thanksgiving. Are you feeling awesome yet?! Cause I know I am!
Oh and we get a boost of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties from all that turmeric in the curry powder. Plus you get so much fiber from the kale and healthy fats from the tahini dressing and more fiber and protein from the chickpeas and healthy eyes from the carrots!!!
POWER SALAD FTW!
Sorry to yell, I’m just excited about veggies and feeling good RN!!!
Is it bad that it’s just the beginning of the Christmas season and I’m already over Christmas desserts? Am I a scrooge? Maybe?!
Don’t worry, I’ve got a few Christmas desserts coming your way very soon because I love you! For now, warm curry salad fills our bellies, nourishes us, and satisfies our souls.
This warm curry salad only takes 40 minutes to make and then you are on your way to feeling refreshed and energetic and back to yourself!
I chose roasted carrots and onions for this salad because I think they go well with curry powder. Really, you could chose any type of roasted veggies you love. Sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli would all be tasty options.
Gaaah I just know you’ll love this warm curry salad. It’s got hearty kale that’s tossed with a thick, yet pour-able curry tahini dressing. And the tender roasted carrots and onions go perfect with the crunchy chickpeas. That lovely warming curry powder is there in each bite.
Friends, this kind of healthy, nourishing, and delicious veggie packed food is what really brings me joy. Yes, desserts and meat are fun and tasty BUT this kind of meal is what really makes me feel good from the inside out. It’s the perfect meal to make right after Thanksgiving!
Or really just every day, all day during the winter, because veggies.
- 4 handfuls of kale, chopped or torn into bite sized pieces
- Crispy chickpeas
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed, and well dried with a towel
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grape seed oil
- Roasted Veggies*
- 3 to 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder **
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grape seed oil
- Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste (sesame butter)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup filtered water + more to thin, as needed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop kale, set aside in a bowl.
- Prepare chickpeas and veggies: Place the dried chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet and the veggies on a separate large baking sheet. Add the curry powder, salt, and oil to each as amounts instructed above. Toss using hands directly on the baking sheets until both the chickpeas and the veggies are well coated.
- Roast: Place the chickpeas in the oven closest to the heat source and the veggies on a separate rack. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing both chickpeas and veggies halfway through. The veggies should be fork tender and the chickpeas should be somewhat crunchy. If you want your chickpeas a little more crunchy give them 5 to 10 more minutes to roast, watch closely so they don't burn.
- Make the dressing: Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small mixing bowl or spouted measuring cup and whisk until well combined. Add a little more water to thin if you prefer a thinner dressing or more tahini if you prefer a thicker dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings or sweetness as needed. Toss some of the dressing with the kale until it's well coated.
- Finish: Transfer the dressed kale to serving bowls or plates and top the kale with the warm roasted veggies and crispy chickpeas. Top with more dressing, as desired. Eat immediately while the veggies and chickpeas are still warm. And enjoy the coziest salad ever!
- Store any leftovers in separate containers. Keep the chickpeas covered at room temp, they will stay crispy for 2 to 3 days.Assemble just before eating.
**Check the ingredients of your curry powder. If it doesn't contain black pepper add some black pepper to the veggies, chickpeas, and dressing. Black pepper and healthy fats help our body absorb the health benefits of turmeric that's in the curry powder. We get the healthy fats from the tahini paste.